Wafers are undoubtedly crunchy, light, fat free, and healthy. There are waffle maker recipes that you can prepare using wafers and some of them are listed below-:
- 250 gm of plain flour
- 7gm of baking powder
- 20 gm of Caster sugar
- 5 gm of salt
- 475 ml of milk
- 30 ml of vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- Put all dry ingredients in a big mixing bowl. Put egg into milk as well as beat the mixture well.
- Add the above prepared milk egg mixture to dry ingredients. Add some oil followed by mixing of all ingredients well till large lumps are broken. Don’t over mix else wafers become heavy on cooling.
- Pre-heat wafer maker. Put some oil on it so that wafers come out easily.
- Take ¾ cup of batter and pour it into waffle maker. Allow it to be cooked for 3 to 4 min or till it become golden brown as well as crispy from outside.
- It should be served hot along with maple syrup. You can also use sliced blueberries or banana instead of maple syrup.
- Cooked wafers can also be frozen as well as heated using a toaster. You can keep unused batter for 2 days in fridge.
Classic Belgian Waffles
Ingredients: cake flour 2 cups, baking powder two teaspoons, half teaspoon salt, large eggs four, sugar 2 tablespoon, vanilla extract half teaspoon, 2 cups of milk, unsalted butter 4 tablespoons, and non-stick cooking spray.
Waffle iron should be pre-heated as per the instructions given in its manual. Take a medium sized bowl and add flour, salt, and baking powder to it. Keep this mixture aside. Take another bowl and use a wooden spoon for beating together sugar and egg yolk till sugar gets completely dissolved in the mixture and eggs turn pale yellow. Now add melted butter, milk, and vanilla to egg mixture and whisk. This mixture should be combined with flour mixture that you prepared earlier and whisk properly till it blends well. Take a third bowl for beating egg whites using an electric mixer till soft peaks form. Use rubber spatula and fold egg whites gently into waffle batter. Waffle iron must be coated with cooking spray which in turn should be poured in iron for just covering the waffle grid. Allow it to cook till the wafers become golden and crisp. This should be served immediately for delicious taste.
Whole wheat waffles
Ingredients: eggs, milk, honey, coconut oil, ground cinnamon, baking soda, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, salt, maple syrup, and fresh fruits.
Pre-heat waffle iron. Mix oil, cinnamon, baking soda, eggs, honey, and milk. To this mixture add baking powder, salt, and flour and mix properly. Sprinkle some oil on the iron and drop wafer batter into it. Allow it to cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Wafers should be kept warm till all are cooked well. Use pure maple syrup along with fresh fruits in combination with wafers for best taste.
According to the legend, the Liege waffle (from the city of Liege, eastern Belgium) was invented by a cook of the Prince-Bishop of Liege in the 18 Th century. The Prince-Bishop had asked for a pastry filled with big pieces of pearl sugar. The cook then tried to bake in a waffle maker, a brioche type pastry with pearl sugar blended in the dough. During baking, the smell of the vanilla delighted the Prince and this waffle recipe joined quickly the culinary traditions in Liege and took the Belgium kingdom by storm.
The Liege waffle is a waffle usually bought and eaten warm on the street. They are usually freshly made in small shops. They are smaller, sweeter and denser than “Belgian waffles” and have a caramelized sugar coating on the outside, giving them a lightly sweet flavour. Most are served plain, but some are vanilla or cinnamon flavoured, and can be served with toppings like fruits, creams, and chocolate.